Here is one example of a Creation to Christ sequence designed for those from a Shame – Honor society. Again, you will need to pray and work to adapt the process to the situation and worldview of those you serve.
Discovery Group Series with Shame/Honor Themes
- Naked and Unashamed (Shame/Cover-Ups) Genesis 2:18-3:11
- Joseph in Potiphar’s House (Honor: Fear of God) Genesis 39:1-23
- Moses/Miriam/Aaron (Sibling Honor/Shame) Numbers 12:1-15
- Korah’s Rebellion (Usurping Honor) Numbers 16:1-50
- Deborah/Barak/Jael (Honor for Bold Obedience) Judges 4:1-24
- Hannah (From Dishonor to Honor) I Samuel 1:1-28
- Ahab/Jehoshaphat/Micaiah (Dishonor: Alignments) 2 Chronicles 18:1-34
- Mary and Joseph (Lineage: Cultural Shame/Honor) Matthew 1:1-25
- Jesus and Fasting (Ceremonial Honor/Dishonor) Matthew 6:16-24
- Elisabeth and Zacharias ( From Dishonor to Honor) Luke 1:5-25
- The Prodigal Son (Honor by Grace for the Dishonorable) Luke 15:11-32
- Rich Man and Lazarus (Status and Honor) Luke 16:19-31
- Honor of Jesus (God’s Honor) John 1: 1-18
- Incarnation of Christ (From Dishonor to Honor) Philippians 2:4-11
- Woman at the Well (Cultural Dishonor/Honor) John 4:4-42
- Jesus Washes Disciples’ Feet (Countercultural Honor) John 13:1-17
- Judas (Shame that Leads to Death) Matthew 26:14-16, 47-50; 27:1-10
- Jesus on the Cross (Countercultural Honor) Matthew 27:27-54
- Jesus’ Resurrection (Dishonor/Honor) Matthew 28:1-20
For those from an honor/shame-oriented culture, this story list can be used with the usual DBS questions.
However, you might want to add one extra question (besides the usual DBS questions) for these studies:
- What does this teach us about God?
- What does this teach us about ourselves / people?
2a. Who is honored or put to shame in this story? Why?
- What do you need to apply / obey? (“I will…”)
- Is there some way we could apply this as a group? (“We will…”)
- Who are you going to tell? (“I will…”)